Frequently Asked

Useful information to find answers to common questions


Please select from the topics below. If you cannot find the answer you are looking for, please contact us.

+Luggage FAQs

What should students bring to the centre?
  • A padlock (to keep personal belongings safe)
  • Water bottles to carry with them when doing sports, activities and excursions
  • Appropriate sporting clothes: shorts, T-shirt, tracksuit, cap, sports socks, etc
  • Non-marking trainers for indoor sports. Students cannot use their normal outdoor trainers in the sports halls
  • Comfortable shoes for walking and sightseeing
  • Sun cream
  • Personal toiletries, including toothpaste and toothbrush
  • Flip-flops to wear in communal bathing areas
  • A waterproof coat and/ or umbrella
  • Both heavier and lighter clothes, as British weather can be unpredictable
  • Name labels on their clothes for the laundry service
  • Travel adaptor for electrical items (UK has a 3-pin socket)
How many suitcases and bags can students bring?
Students can only bring a maximum of one mid-sized suitcase (68 X 59 X 24cm), weighing no more than 20kg and one small piece of hand luggage with them.

+Money FAQs

How much is the damage deposit?
  • All students staying in Residential Accommodation pay a £50 damage/keys deposit on arrival. The deposit will be returned in full at the end of the course if there is no damage and keys are returned.
  • If a student causes any minor damage during their stay or loses their keys, they will lose the deposit.
  • For any major damage the full cost of repairs will be charged to the agent/parent.
  • There is no damage deposit for homestay centres, but the full cost of any repairs will be charged to the agent/parent.
How much pocket money should a student bring?
We recommend £75-100 per week. This should cover snacks, drinks, a few small presents, and some basic souvenirs.
What does a student do with valuables?
  • It is not a good idea to bring valuables or large amounts of money. Twin cannot be responsible for lost items.
  • Students should bring a padlock for their suitcase.
  • Individual students: Passports should be given to the Centre Manager for safekeeping. Other cash/ valuables can be stored on request at the discretion of the Centre Manager.
  • Groups: Group Leaders are responsible for holding their group’s passports and any cash/ valuables.
  • Students should be very careful with valuable items and money when visiting big cities. For example, do not leave valuables in the front pocket of a rucksack.
Does Twin change foreign currency?
  • Twin cannot change foreign currency, although staff will always help students who want to change money.

+English Lessons FAQs

How are the students placed in classes?

Students are tested in their first class. Testing consists of a short grammar and written test and an informal interview. If a student is not comfortable in his/her allocated class, for whatever reason, they should inform their Teacher, Group Leader, or directly the Director of Studies.

How many hours of English classes are there?

There are twenty lessons of English classes per week on all programmes, apart from our Intensive English programme which includes an additional eight lessons. Each lesson is 45 minutes.

How many students are there in a class?

There are a maximum of 15 students in a class.

When will the English classes be?
  • In residential centres lessons will be in the morning.
  • In our London homestay centre we operate a ‘zig-zag’ system, which means students will have classes in the morning and afternoon on alternate days.
How is the academic programme structured?

Our course is specifically designed for teenagers and young learners. The programme ranges from Beginner to Advanced level with an age- appropriate version for under 12s. Also built into the syllabus are Teacher’s Choice, Learner Training, and excursion- based projects and lesson.

What is the content of lessons?

Our English courses cover all four skills, focusing particularly on speaking and listening. Grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation are also included. The focus is on real-life communication, building confidence in using and understanding English and promoting understanding of effective learning strategies to enable students to continue their learning after the course.

What is the teaching methodology?

The classes are delivered in a fun and communicative way, providing learners with new materials and opportunities to practise language. Our teachers focus on developing speaking and listening skills by using pair-work and group-work, discussions and project work.

Do the students get a book?
The students are provided with a book to use in the classroom.

+Activities and Excursions FAQs

What is the social programme?

The social programme consists of evening entertainment for residential students, daytime activities and excursions. The daytime activities are a variety of sports, arts & crafts, walking tours, and cultural visits to local places of interest. In residential centres in the evening there are fun activities like discos and talent nights. The students will have one full day and one half day excursion per week.

Please check each individual centre sample programme for details.

Where will students go on excursions?

Each centre visits different locations. Please check each individual centre sample programme for details.

Will the programme change?

Sometimes it is impossible to do an activity on the programme, for example, if the programme has ‘Outdoor Sports’ and it rains, it is much better to change the activity. We will do our best to keep changes to a minimum. Twin reserves the right to make programme changes due to circumstances beyond its control or to improve or preserve the quality of the programme and without notice.

What are optional excursions?

To help you further personalize your stay, at each centre we offer optional excursions at an extra cost. Below are the main destinations for each centre:

Leamington Spa

Nottingham, London with entrance to London Eye, Liverpool with entrance to The Beatles story, Cadbury's World (with entrance), Chatsworth House (with entrance).


Bath with entrance to Roman Baths, London with entrance to London Eye, Salisbury & Stonehenge with entrance to Stonehenge, Leeds Castle (with entrance), Windsor with entrance to Windsor Castle, Hampton Court Palace (with entrance), Brighton with entrance to Brighton Pavilion, Stratford- upon- Avon with entrance to Shakespeare birthplace, Arundel Castle (with entrance).

How can students book optional excursions?

Optional excursions can be booked either before arriving at the centre or when the students are at the centre. Optional excursions at the centre are sold at a higher price, we therefore encourage you to book in advance for the best prices.

If you would like to book optional excursions before arriving at the centre, please email the Twin sales team.

If you would like to book optional excursions when you are at your centre, speak to the onsite management team.

Unfortunately optional excursions are only available to groups. It is not possible for individual students to book optional excursions.

+Meals FAQs

Are special dietary requirements catered for?

Special dietary requirements such as Vegetarian, Vegan, Halal, Gluten-free, and Lactose-free are catered for, but advance notice must be given. Please contact us for further information.

What type of food is served?

Breakfast is usually continental and may consist of pastries, cereal, toast and jam.

Lunch/ Dinner might be soup, pasta, meat, fish, chips, potatoes, and vegetables. There will always be a choice of dishes and a vegetarian option. There is also fruit and dessert.

It is important students keep an open mind as the food may be different to the food they normally eat. This is a great chance for students to experience food from another culture.

If students are allergic to something, Twin needs to be informed in advance. Students should remind the Centre Manager or their homestay host (if applicable) of their dietary requirements upon arrival.

Are all meals included in homestay accommodation?

The students will have breakfast and dinner with the homestay host and a packed lunch during the day.

+Behaviour FAQs

What are the student rules?
Please refer to the Student Code of Conduct

+Health, Safety and Welfare FAQs

Who supervises the students?

Our supervision ratio is one adult per fifteen students. During lessons, scheduled activities, and excursions, this ratio is made up by Twin Teachers, Activity Leaders, and/ or Managers.

During break times, free time, on journeys to school (homestay only), and airport transfers, Group Leaders may be asked to make up the supervision ratios or supervise their own students. Individuals are always supervised by Twin staff.

What are House Parents?

Each residential centre has at least one House Parent, who is responsible for ensuring students are safe and happy in their accommodation. They help students with laundry, look after sick students, and deal with any problems during the night.

Are students given free time during excursions?
Students aged 13 and under must always be accompanied by an adult. Students aged 14-15 may be allowed to go off in groups of no less than four for up to one hour at a time. Students aged 16+ may be allowed to spend up to two hours in pairs or small groups without an adult.
Can students opt out of the programme?

Individual students cannot opt out of our programme. We need to know where students are at all times to ensure their safety. We hope they will enjoy the programme so much that they won’t want to opt out!

If groups decide to opt-out of the pre-arranged leisure programme, the Group Leaders sign an opt-out form agreeing to take full responsibility for their students.

Are the students allowed to leave the centre?
Students cannot leave the centre unless accompanied by an adult known to them, and with their parents’ written permission. It must be authorised by a manager in advance.
What happens if a student gets lost?
All groups are given student cards with an emergency contact number so that they can reach a member of the Twin welfare staff at all times. Alternatively, they should go to a uniformed police officer and ask for help.
What happens with students’ medication?
If they are taking medication, they must hand it in when they arrive. All medication must be kept by the House Parent or Group Leader and not in students’ bedrooms, except for Asthma inhalers and first response medication as agreed with the parents. We will accept medicines prescribed by a doctor from your own country, as long as there is an English translation. Medication is given to students at the prescribed time by an authorised member of Twin staff, usually a Manager or House Parent, or a Group Leader.
What happens if a student is unhappy or homesick?
Students should speak to someone if they are unhappy – in the first place their host, teacher, friend or any one on the Twin staff. We are sure we will be able to help!

+Communication FAQs

Are students able to call home?
Telephones are at each of our schools so that students can contact someone at home in case of an emergency. However, normally students will make contact using their own mobile phones.
Can parents visit the students?

The parents of students are always welcome at our centres. Please contact the centre in advance to ensure that the student will be available. Parents must not remove their child from the centre without notifying the Centre Manager or person in charge. The Centre Manager will require photographic proof of identification. Students will not be permitted to leave the centre with friends or relatives, other than the father or mother, without written permission from their parents.

+Complaints FAQs

What does a student do if he/she has a complaint?
Please refer to the Students Complaints Policy

+Leamington Spa FAQs

How far is the accommodation from the classrooms?
The residence for students is located on site at Royal Leamington Spa College and is a short walk (maximum 10 minutes) from the teaching areas.
Where are the closest towns?
Leamington Spa town centre is a 15 minute walk away. There are shops, cafes, restaurants, gardens, an art gallery and a museum. 5 minutes from the school there is a large park.
What is the closest transport link?
Leamington Spa Rail station is a 20 minute walk away. There are direct trains to central London from here.
What is the maximum number of students in the centre?
What room types are available?
Leamington Spa is a residential centre. All rooms are single en-suite.
Are bed linen and towels provided?
Do the bedrooms lock?
Yes, students will receive a key to their room.
Is there a safe for valuables?
There is a small safe that is used for individual students’ passports. Other cash/ valuables can be stored on request at the discretion of the Centre Manager.
Is there a laundry service?
There are facilities for students to do their own laundry helped by Twin staff. It costs £2.40/ wash £1.20 /dry. Laundry detergent is provided.
How often is the accommodation cleaned?
There is a weekly cleaning service for bedrooms, bathrooms and common spaces.
Is there free Wi-Fi?
Are there computers available for student use?
Do you accept students with special diets?
We can provide Vegetarian, Vegan, Halal, Gluten-free, and Lactose-free meals. We need to know about these requirements in advance.
Is there a shop/ café at the school?
There is no shop or cafe onsite but there are vending machines, and there are shops and cafes very near.
What are the room check-in/ check-out times?
Students can get into their rooms at 17.00, and need to leave by 09.00. Luggage can be securely stored before check-in/ after check-out.
What is the daily timetable?
The timetable is normally as follows, but might be different on excursion/ arrival days. Wake up: 7.00 Breakfast: 8.00-9.00 Lesson: 9.00-10.30 Break: 10.30-11.00 Lesson: 11.00-12.30 Lunch: 12.30-13.30 Break: 13.30-14.00 Afternoon activities: 14.00-15.30 Break: 15.30-16.00 Afternoon activities: 16.00-17.30 Break: 17.30-18.00 Dinner: 18.00-19.00 Break: 19.00-20.00 Evening activities: 20.00-22.00 Return to accommodation: 22.00-23.00
What time do students go to bed?
Lights out is at 22.30 for under 13s and23.00 for 13+.
What sports/leisure facilities are at the centre?
A multipurpose sports hall is available at the centre, although some games and sports will take place in the adjacent Victoria park. Lawn bowls and tennis will take place at bowling greens and tennis courts at Victoria Park.
What local attractions will students visit?
Students will visit Leamington Spa centre and have the opportunity to explore sights of cultural or historic importance such as Royal Pump Rooms and Royal Pump Rooms Gardens, Leamington Spa Art Gallery & Museum, Jephson Gardens and the Glasshouse.
What excursions will students go on?
A two-week programme includes: Full-day excursion to Stratford-upon-Avon with entrance to Shakespeare's Birthplace, Full-day excursion to London with Thames River Cruise, Half-day excursion to with entrance to Warwick Castle, Half-day excursion to Oxford.

Twin Group is affiliated and associated with the following professional organisations: